Article 29: Protection of interests of minorities
1. Any section of the citizens residing in the territory of India or any part thereof having a distinct language, script or culture of its own shall have the right to conserve the same.
2. No citizen shall be denied admission into any educational institution maintained by the State or receiving aid out of State funds on grounds only of religion, race, caste, language or any of them.
Article 30: Right of minorities to establish and administer educational institutions
- All minorities, whether based on religion or language, shall have the right to establish and administer educational institutions of their choice.
- In granting aid to institutions, the State cannot discriminate against any institution on the basis of the fact that it is administered by a minority institution.
- Right to administer does not mean that the State cannot interfere in case of maladministration.
- Supreme Court held that the State can take regulatory measures to promote the efficiency and excellence of educational standards.
- Supreme Court ruled that in case of aided minority institutions offering professional courses, admission could only be through a common entrance test conducted by State or a university.